“The following points will (inshallah) help one to stay away from sins:
1) Stay away from company which will entice you to commit sin
2) Stay away from environments which encourage sin
3) Make it a point to stay in the company of pious, god-fearing people.
4) Take out time once a week and remember death, the stages preceding it and the punishments of the hereafter
5) Choose a qualified person as your Shaykh and take guidance from him when you find difficulty in abstaining from sin
6) Earnestly and continuously ask Allah ta’ala for His help and for protection from Shaytan and the Nafs”